Well look at that. I just happen to check my publisher’s website today and noticed that they put my book description online and made it available for pre-order.
The book, entitled SOA Patterns with BizTalk Server 2009, is due out by May 2009 (hopefully sooner). I’m still in the process of editing the book and responding to technical review comments, but we’re nearing completion of that phase. I have three fantastic technical reviewers (Charles Young, Zach Bonham, Ewan Fairweather) who have added a ton of great comments that I’m almost done wading through and addressing.
This publisher (Packt Publishing) specializes in short, targeted technical books that address specific topics. I tried to be “short” but still went over my suggested page count by nearly double. Oh well, hopefully that’s better for the readers.
The high level chapter summaries are …
- Chapter 1 – Building BizTalk Server 2009 Solutions – A brief walkthrough of creating a new BizTalk project from scratch
- Chapter 2 – Windows Communication Foundation Primer – An overview of WCF with examples of developing, hosting, and consuming WCF services
- Chapter 3 – Using WCF Services in BizTalk Server 2009 – An explanation of the marriage between BizTalk and WCF and how to both expose and consume WCF services within BizTalk Server
- Chapter 4 – Planning Service Oriented BizTalk Solutions – A discussion of the core aspects of SOA, the types of services one can construct, available message exchange patterns, and how service-oriented principles apply to BizTalk solutions
- Chapter 5 – Schema and Endpoint Patterns – How to build effective schemas and endpoints depending on the type of service constructed
- Chapter 6 – Asynchronous Communication Patterns – A look at options for asynchronous communication and how to exploit this pattern in BizTalk solutions
- Chapter 7 – Orchestration Patterns – We analyze the role of orchestration in service solutions and see how to build loosely coupled workflow processes
- Chapter 8 – Versioning Patterns – We see here how to effectively version our SOA solutions and cleanly introduce updates to our BizTalk components
- Chapter 9 – New SOA Capabilities in BizTalk Server 2009 – A first look at the latest additions to the BizTalk product. This includes the new UDDI v3 registry, WCF SQL Server Adapter, and ESB Guidance 2.0
So there you go. Once the book actually hits the shelves, I’ll make another mention of it on the blog.